Join our team
Thwaites Communications is a company with a purpose. Seven years ago we set out to work with organisations and people who are taking on the world’s biggest sustainability challenges. Put simply, we believe that there is enough to go around and that as the world’s population grows, everyone can not only survive, but thrive!
We are a communications agency but we tend to work with clients that understand (or are open to understanding) the value of communications, engagement and persuasion as business development tools. We want our clients to make a big impression; to have real impact and change behaviour. That might mean by transforming public services so they work better for citizens, getting more people active and healthy to relieve the pressure on hospitals and healthcare services or opening access to high quality higher education to the brightest and best minds, whatever their backgrounds. Many of our clients are positioned in the world of emerging technologies. They work in (or with) data, AI and machine learning and connected fields.
Working at Thwaites
We’re now seeking a switched on, motivated person (or people in a job share partnership) to join our team. Whilst we might not all have the same technical backgrounds as our clients, we are intensely interested in what they are trying to achieve. This translates into a rigorous approach to strategy and planning, backed by heaps of research and insight and a culture of continuous learning and improvement. Our role is usually to unravel the complexity of sometimes technical concepts and activities, to make them accessible and appealing to the audiences and customers that our clients need to reach.
Much of our work is strongly connected with policy, and we work with many publicly-funded agencies and companies. But we also work with startups and SMEs, international governments and think tanks; entrepreneurs and entrepreneurial thinkers across the UK and beyond.
We are looking for people at Account Manager or Senior Account Manager level, who have the self-motivation, resourcefulness, creativity and intellectual drive to join our growing team.
We are ethical, responsible and caring. Our business model means we can accommodate flexible working; we often work in our clients’ offices, or at home, as well as in our own office in Shoreditch. Whilst we are always focused on delighting our clients, we want to enjoy what we do so we also make time to have fun together.
In terms of skills we are looking for:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills that can easily be adapted to suit different organisations and circumstances.
- Great client relationship building skills, and an understanding of what it means to make and maintain the position of trusted advisor.
- Commitment to teamwork and a high level of comfort in working across multiple projects and programmes with a variety of stakeholders and interests.
- Proven experience of researching and writing a range of content for a variety of purposes and audiences, such as strategies, blogs and briefing documents for clients.
- The confidence to work independently, knowing when to make independent decisions, and when to collaborate.
- Project management skills; comfortable with running campaigns and managing the work of others to achieve targets.
- Strong digital and social media marketing skills
- Confidence in delivering targeted campaigns for a range of audiences across multiple platforms.
- An understanding of performance metrics & business intelligence tools, and the capability to gather and present evidence of outcomes and impact
- Organised, with excellent attention to detail and a pacy, efficient working style
It’s far more important to us to work with people who have the right outlook and attitude than those who tick a bunch of boxes. However, we are looking for a communications practitioner, someone who is able to develop and deliver campaigns themselves, as well as managing suppliers when needed. It’s likely you’ll have most of the following on your CV:
- More than three years experience working in a communications and/or marketing role, some of it with an agency or consultancy business.
- A demonstrable passion for emerging tech, innovation, data and science.
- A commitment to continuous learning, shown by consistent professional development over the years and highly relevant skills that are compatible with today’s communications environment.
- Technically able and comfortable in the digital space having used a variety of tools and software packages: CMS, CRM systems, design packages, collaboration tools, analytics tools etc.
- A sound track record of excellent content creation and writing including some of the following: short and long-form writing, blogs, ghost written bylines, press briefings, strategies, web copy, social media content, basic infographics.
- Experience in 2 or 3 of the following: internal communications, media relations, social media management, digital marketing and publishing, campaign management, strategic comms and comms planning, public affairs, event planning and management, editorial planning and project management, communications monitoring and evaluation.
The small print
We’re offering a salary of up to £35k per annum (including London weighting) for a 37.5 hour week, with 5 weeks holiday a year and a contributory pension. In the case of job share partners, we would ideally ask each partner to work 22.5 hours (or 3 days) per week with individual salary and benefits pro-rated according to the working pattern. There must be one day of ‘overlap’ between the partners to ensure smooth account handling.
NB: We are open to different combinations of working pattern, ie. 4 days/2 days or 2.5 days/3.5 days. But the two job share partners cannot work the same part time days (ie. one partner may work Monday to Wednesday, with the other working Wednesday to Friday but both partners cannot work Monday to Wednesday!)
If you’d like to apply for this role individually or in a partnership, please send your current CV with a covering letter that tells us why you think you’re the perfect person for the job. If you are interested in the role as a job share but have yet to find a job share partner, please drop us a line anyway; we may be able to find just the right ‘fit’ for you!