Join our team
Thwaites Communications is a company with a purpose. Seven years ago we set out to work with organisations and people who are taking on the world’s biggest sustainability challenges. Put simply, we believe that there is enough to go around and that as the world’s population grows, everyone can not only survive, but thrive!
We are a communications agency but we tend to work with clients that understand (or are open to understanding) the value of communications, engagement and persuasion as business development tools. We want our clients to make a big impression on the world – to have real impact and change behaviour – whether that means transforming public services so they work better for citizens, getting more people active and healthy to relieve the pressure on hospitals and healthcare services or opening access to high quality higher education to the brightest and best minds, whatever their backgrounds. Many of our clients are positioned in the world of emerging technologies. They work in (or with) data, AI and machine learning and connected fields.
Working at Thwaites
We’re now seeking a switched on, motivated colleague who shares our passion. Whilst we might not all have the same technical backgrounds as our clients, we are intensely interested in what they are trying to achieve. This translates into a rigorous approach to strategy and planning, backed up by heaps of research and insight and a culture of continuous learning and improvement. Our role is usually to unravel the complexity of sometimes highly technical concepts and activities, to make them accessible and appealing to the audiences and customers that our clients need to reach.
Much of our work is strongly connected with government policy, and we work with many publicly-funded agencies and companies. But we also work with startups and SMEs, international governments and think tanks, entrepreneurs and entrepreneurial thinkers across the UK and beyond.
We are looking for someone at Account Manager level, who has the self-motivation, resourcefulness, creativity and intellectual drive to join our growing team. We are ethical, responsible and caring. Our business model means we can accommodate flexible working. We often work in our clients’ offices, or at home, as well as in our own office in Shoreditch. Whilst we are always focused on delighting clients, we want to enjoy what we do so we make time to have fun together.
In terms of skills we are looking for:
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills that can easily be adapted to suit different organisations and circumstances.
- Commitment to teamwork and a high level of comfort in working across multiple projects and programmes with a variety of stakeholders and interests represented
- The confidence to work independently, knowing when to make independent decisions, and when to collaborate
- Excellent communications instincts, understanding when and how to make recommendations to clients and a deep confidence in acting as their advisor
- Ability to quickly connect with clients and gain their trust
- Proven experience of researching and writing a range of content for a variety of purposes and audiences
- Strong digital and social media marketing skills
- Confidence in delivering targeted campaigns for a range of audiences across multiple platforms
- An understanding of performance metrics & business intelligence tools, and the capability to gather and present evidence of outcomes and impact
- Organised, with excellent attention to detail and a pacy, efficient working style
- Adaptability, flexibility and resilience, able to manage multiple competing objectives and a variety of stakeholders at the same time
It’s far more important to us to work with people who have the right outlook and attitude than those who tick a bunch of boxes, so we’re not prescriptive about where you come from, or what you have done before. However, it’s likely you’ll have most of the following on your CV:
- More than three years experience working in a communications and marketing role, in all likelihood with an agency or consultancy business
- Solid experience working in the B2B space
- A demonstrable passion for emerging tech, innovation, data and science
- A commitment to continuous learning, shown by consistent professional development over the years and highly relevant skills that are compatible with today’s communications environment
- Technically able and comfortable in the digital space having used a wide range of tools and software packages – CMS, CRM systems, design packages, collaboration tools, analytics tools etc.
- A sound track record of excellent content creation and writing including short and long-form writing, blogs, bylines (your own and others’), press briefings, web copy, social media content, infographics etc. etc.
- Experience in most of the following: internal communications, media relations, social media management, digital marketing and publishing, campaign management, strategic comms and comms planning, public affairs, event planning and management, editorial planning and project management, communications monitoring and evaluation.
The small print
We’re offering a salary of up to £35k per annum (including London weighting) for a 37.5 hour week, with 5 weeks holiday a year and a contributory pension (pro-rated to an initial 6m contract).
If you’d like to apply for this role, please send your current CV with a covering letter that tells us why you think you’re the perfect person for the job. We’ll need your application by 12-noon on Monday 28th January. Interviews will take place soon after and we’d like someone to start pretty-much straight away (ie. at the beginning of February).
If you would like to find out more about us, or organise an informal chat before submitting an application, please email our Director of Client Services, Helen Desmond on email@example.com