Join our team
Senior Account Exec/Account Manager/Senior Account Manager level (full time, part time, and/or freelance opportunities)
Thwaites Communications is a company with a purpose. Six years ago we set out to work with organisations and people who are taking on the world’s biggest sustainability challenges. Put simply, we believe that there is enough to go around and that as the world’s population grows, everyone can not only survive, but thrive!
We are a communications agency but we tend to work with clients that understand (or are open to understanding) the value of communications, engagement and persuasion as business development tools. We want our clients to make a big impression on the world – to have real impact and change behaviour – whether that means transforming public services so they work better for citizens, getting more people active and healthy to relieve the pressure on hospitals and healthcare services or opening access to high quality higher education to the brightest and best minds, whatever their backgrounds.
Working at Thwaites
We’re now seeking switched on, motivated colleagues who share our passion. Our clients are people doing extraordinary things in emerging technologies, higher education and innovation. Whilst we might not all have the same technical backgrounds as our clients, we are intensely interested in what they are trying to achieve. This translates into a rigorous approach to strategy and planning, backed up by heaps of research and insight and a culture of continuous learning and improvement. Our role is usually to unravel the complexity of sometimes highly technical concepts and activities, to make them accessible and appealing to the audiences and customers that our clients need to reach.
Much of our work is strongly connected with government policy, and we work with many publicly-funded agencies and companies. But we also work with startups and SMEs, international governments and think tanks, entrepreneurs and entrepreneurial thinkers across the UK and beyond.
We are seeking people with self-motivation, resourcefulness, creativity and intellectual drive to join our team. Our business is growing steadily and we have a range of potential opportunities from full time to part time and freelance roles. Being small, a ‘mucking in’ mentality is essential. You will need to be prepared to undertake everything from basic admin duties, to representing the company in front of clients. We are non-hierarchical by nature but this means that everyone does a bit of everything – including taking responsibility for and learning from their mistakes! In return, the opportunities to grow and develop will be significant.
We are ethical, responsible and caring. Our business model means we can accommodate flexible working. We often work in our clients’ offices, or at home, as well as in our own office space in Shoreditch. Whilst we are always focused on delighting clients, we want to enjoy what we do so we make time to have fun together, and are relaxed about when the work gets done, so long as it exceeds the client’s expectations and meets their deadlines.
In terms of skills we are looking for:
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills that can easily be adapted to suit different organisations and circumstances.
- Commitment to teamwork and a high level of comfort in working across multiple projects and programmes with a variety of stakeholders and interests represented
- The confidence to work independently, knowing when to make independent decisions, and when to collaborate
- Excellent communications instincts, understanding when and how to make recommendations to clients and a deep confidence in acting as their advisor
- Ability to quickly connect with clients and gain their trust
- Proven experience of researching and writing a range of content for a variety of purposes and audiences
- Strong digital and social media marketing skills
- Confidence in delivering targeted campaigns for a range of audiences across multiple platforms
- An understanding of performance metrics & business intelligence tools, and the capability to gather and present evidence of outcomes and impact
- Organised, with excellent attention to detail
- Adaptability, flexibility and resilience, able to manage multiple competing objectives and a variety of stakeholders at the same time
It’s far more important to us to work with people who have the right outlook and attitude than those who tick a bunch of boxes, so we’re not prescriptive about where you come from, or what you have done before. However, it’s likely you’ll have most of the following on your CV:
- More than five years experience working in a communications and marketing role, in all likelihood with an agency or consultancy business
- Solid experience working in the B2B space
- A demonstrable passion for emerging tech, innovation, data and science
- A commitment to continuous learning, shown by consistent professional development over the years and highly relevant skills that are compatible with today’s communications environment
- Technically able and comfortable in the digital space having used a wide range of tools and software packages – CMS, CRM systems, design packages, collaboration tools, analytics tools etc.
- A sound track record of excellent content creation and writing including short and long-form writing, blogs, bylines (your own and others’), press briefings, web copy, social media content, infographics etc. etc.
- Experience in most of the following: internal communications, media relations, social media management, digital marketing and publishing, campaign management, strategic comms and comms planning, public affairs, event planning and management, editorial planning and project management, communications monitoring and evaluation.
The small print
We typically offer a salary of between £25k and £35k pa for a 37.5 hour week, with 5 weeks holiday a year and a contributory pension (depending on skills and experience). Our contracts range from 3m fixed term to permanent.
For freelancers, our day rates are negotiable, depending on experience and skills (and duration of contract). We work with people on a ‘project’ basis, or for a certain number of days, weekly or monthly for short fixed periods.
If you would like to find out more about us, or organise an informal chat, please email our Director of Client Services, Helen Desmond on firstname.lastname@example.org
If this isn’t the right opportunity for you but you think we could work together in other ways, get in touch and let’s have a coffee.